I’ve not been in the kitchen much for the past few days. Reasons being that I’ve been filming 3 whole music videos over just 48 hours – yikes. As you can imagine that was pretty intense, and, to top it all off, I’ve pulled my oblique and intercostal muscles on my right side – double yikes!
So it’s safe to say I’m feeling a bit under the weather and I’ve not been able to move much being dosed up on painkillers.
All moaning aside though, this little blip has inspired me to create a simple and soothing muscle recovery drink. I wanted to make this drink as remedial as possible in terms of helping pulled muscles, so I’ve included the following for their magnificent benefits:
- Banana: potassium-packed to replenish depleted electrolyte stores, reducing soreness and speeding up recovery.
- Cashew nuts and peanut butter: high in BCAAS for optimizing muscle synthesis. Also both DELISH.
- Vegan protein powder: does what it says on the tin – full of protein to help muscles recover. Also fortified with extra vitamins and nutrients to help you feel better all-round.
- Chia seeds: magnesium and healthy fats present in these help relax muscles and decrease inflammation.
I particularly loved the consistency of the drink. It’s not thick and heavy like a lot of muscle recovery shakes, hence my labelling of it as ‘mylk’.
Do feel free to add more protein to this however if you are after a more traditional protein shake for a post-workout.
I hope you enjoy and let me know your thoughts!
Muscle Recovery Mylk
- 150 ml water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cashews
- 1 tsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp vegan protein powder you can add more if you’d like to make this a thick protein shake post workout.
- 1/2 tsp cacao nibs (optional – for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut (optional – for garnish)
- Place everything except cacao nibs and coconut in a blender and blend for a few minutes until chia seeds aren’t visible. Garnish with cacao nibs and coconut if you like and enjoy!